Elm Street Enterprises at Elm Street Elementary School, a STEM curriculum designed for learning through entrepreneurship, giving back, and developing a world vision, including enterprises such as:
- Sugar Kids Beauty
- Elm Kids Construction: “Tiny House – Big Dreams”
- Elm SCENTsational Slime
- Maker Market on Elm Street
- PAWSitive Kids
- Creative Technology Design
- Caring & Giving
Elm Street Elementary School is a Georgia STEM certified school and one of five in Georgia selected as a “2017 Family Friendly School.” At Elm Street students are learning through a business and engineering design model as early as Kindergarten. Along with enterprises and entrepreneurships, the school works toward social awareness and giving back to the community. Using funds raised through it’s many businesses, the school has supported the Rome Community and beyond. Examples include:
- Six Months supply of food for the Rome Community Kitchen
- Corporate Sponsor for the Floyd NICU unit
- Refurbishing of the Ronald McDonald House
- Providing a student-built “Tiny House” for a homeless veteran; second house under construction
- Fundraising for the Salvation Army through a Fun Run and donations
- Family Crochet event to make mats for the homeless from 50,000 recycled Plastic bags
- Donated over 80,000 bottles of water to Hurricane Harvey victims, partnering with The Museum of Flight
- Animal shelter support and projects
- CARE packages to overseas troops
- Provided a family in need with transportation to Atlanta Hospital
Jay Shell is not a lifetime Roman but you’d think he was by seeing the compassion he has for this community.
Moving to Rome 19 years ago, he has been involved in the following:
- Downtown Development Authority as Promotion Chairman and Business Improvement Board
- Floyd County Board of Education
- Community Coach for Rome Floyd Parks and Rec
- Leadership Rome
- Owning a business on Broad Street (originally 333 on Broad, then Brewhouse and now Rome City Brewing Co.), Jay has often helped people on the street with food warm clothing or job opportunities.
- Has hired bands to assist fund raisers such as: Exchange Club Family Resource Center, Cancer Navigators and The Heart of the Community.
- Rome River Jam Concerts
Jay has been married to Melissa for 19 years. They have two children, Madalyn and Jaxson.
Nominators for Jay share: “Jay is the kind of person who not only makes you proud of how far Rome has come, but proud to be a Roman.”
Scott Smith is a native of Bremen, Ga. He received his B.S. Degree in Business from the University of Georgia and his JD Degree at Mercer Law School. He is with McRae, Smith and Peek Attorneys in Rome. His involvement in the community began 25 years ago when he moved to Rome to begin his law practice.
His community activities has included:
- Boys and Girls Club
- Mercy Senior Care
- Tri for Kids Fundraiser
- First Baptist Church
- Development Authority Rome Chamber of Commerce
- Rome-Floyd Chamber of Commerce Board
- Charter member of Seven Hills Rotary Club
- Floyd Healthcare Foundation
- United Way of Rome Executive Committee
- Board of Coosa Country Club
- Board member of the Community Foundation
Scott is married to Beth and they have three daughters, Bailey, Avery and Anne Scott.
Bob and Susan Hortman said of Scott: “Scott’s unwavering dedication has given fundamental guidance to members as well as steady leadership to the organizations that he serves.”
J.R. Davis of the Boys and Girl’s Club said: “We are so appreciative to have a board member like Scott Smith. He is a true example of a board member giving his time, talent, and treasure to support our organization.”
A 1980 graduate of East Rome where he played on back-to-back championship teams in 1977-1978, Charles received a BS Degree in Social Service from the University of Georgia and a Master’s Degree in Early/Childhood Education from Ashford University. Charles has been involved with the following community activities:
- Head Football Coach – Rome Middle School
- Distinguished Gentlemen Group at Anna K. Davie Elementary School
- Positive Parenting Program
- Founded Building Positive Families Program
- Booster Club President and PTO President –Rome High School
- Volunteer with Juvenile Court System
- Past Vice Chair, Rome Floyd Parks and Recreation Authority
- Meld for Dads Fatherhood program
He and his wife, Regina, have six children: Kiara, Toryan, Hameed, Jamahal, Armir and OJ.
Nominated by Elaina Beaman, who says: “Charles Smith continues to give back to this community by giving his heart, devoted time and loyal support to programs that inspire and motivate youth.”
A native of Waterbury, Conn., Lenora received a BS degree from Southern Connecticut State University and a MSW degree from Northwestern University. She and her husband, Dr. James Santoro, moved to Rome when he started his medical practice.
Her community service has included the following:
- American Cancer Society
- Chieftains Museum
- Floyd Healthcare Foundation
- Junior Service League member and sustainer
- William Davies Homeless Shelter Board
- Mary’s Church Parish Council
- Darlington School-Room and Dorm Parent and other volunteer activities
She and her husband have one son and daughter-in-law.
Nominated by Elizabeth Tierney, who says: “Lenora will tell you she does not deserve this award that she volunteers because she loves helping people and her community.”
A native of Greenville, S.C., Annette has been a longtime resident of Floyd County.
She received a BS Degree from the University of South Carolina, a master’s degree from Georgia State University and recently received an Ed. S Degree from the University of Alabama. She currently is a retired guidance counselor from the Floyd County Schools.
Her community involvement:
- Founder of Floyd Against Drugs
- Board Member of Rome Symphony Orchestra
- Past President Garden Study Group Garden Club
- Committees at St. Peter’s Episcopal Church
- Board Member of the Episcopal Foundation for the Diocese of Atlanta
- Volunteer with Teen Maze
- Previous volunteer with Sexual Assault Center
- Former member of the Episcopal Charities Foundation Committee
She has two grown children, Scott and Vann Morris
The nominators for Annette all agreed: “She has a heart filled with compassion, love, generosity, courage and loyalty to others.”