About the Heart of the Community Foundation
On February 27, 1987, the first Heart of the Community event was held at the Coosa Country Club, Sponsored by Redmond Park Hospital and WRGA/WQTU Radio, the event raised $10,607.00 for the American Heart Association.
The first recipients included: Barbara Carter, Billy Huffman, Alex Mills, Hazel Porter, Predetha Thomas and J. L. Todd.
In the 33 years since its beginning, the Heart of the Community Foundation has continued to raise money to support heart related projects in the Rome community.
This is evidenced by:
- The building of the Guest House for families of critically ill patients on the Redmond campus.
- A Fitness Station at Ridge Ferry Park.
- AED units placed in public agencies in Rome and Floyd County.
- A Serenity Garden at AdventHealth Redmond.
- Expansion of the Guest House adding six additional bedrooms.
- Community Heart Education Seminars.
Each year since its beginning the Heart of the Community has honored residents of Rome for their committed service and dedication to the community. Monetary donations are given to the recipient’s charity of choice.